Welcome! The information on this page is for parents whose child is NOT registered and/or training with an official program.
Saturday, November 20, 2021
Start/Finish Line – LaHarpe Blvd (click here)
up to 10/15/2021
TRAINING FOR THE FINAL MILE
- Kids run or walk the first 25.2 miles of their marathon one mile at a time on a safe, secure route designated by parents, coaches or teachers. The program should take 9 – 12 weeks to complete depending on the fitness level of the child. A less-active child may need to start earlier to complete the program.
- The first 25 miles are “honor” miles. Children get the most from this experience if they earn the miles.
- Measure a safe, secure route, which will allow easy record keeping. If your child is participating in a program, your child’s leader will do all this.
- A typical city block for example, is approximately 1/4 mile around.
- A high school track is 1/4 mile around.
- You can even measure a route inside your home and run/walk it to reach the mileage goal.
- We encourage you to join your kids and make this a family event.
- As your child completes his/her goals, he/she can keep track of progress using the Training Log (emailed after you register your child). You will have to show your child’s mileage when you pick up his/her race packet.
- Daily record keeping is a lesson as kids chart their progress toward their goal.
- Recognize your child’s mileage. Present an “award” at 5, 10, 15 and 20 miles. Please see the “Motivate Your Little Rock” for suggested recognition. Make the awards presentation a special time. Recognition is important!
- Wear running shoes or sneakers and socks. Proper footwear helps prevent foot problems.
- Children should run or walk with a parent, coach, or friend. You can encourage each other that way. Talk while you run/walk, you can maintain the perfect pace that way.
- Gentle stretches before you train. Stretching helps prevent injuries. Hold each stretch for 20 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE.
- Ask your child to drink lots of water throughout the day (if possible) and after they train. Water helps muscles do their work.
- Get plenty of sleep. Muscles need lots of rest so your child can keep running/walking every day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet including lots of protein (meat or dairy) and carbohydrates (pasta, rice, potatoes). Your child’s body needs fuel to do its work!
- Be Patient. If your child can only run or walk a little, keep trying.
- If your child can run or walk more than a mile per day, great!
- If your child plays a lot of soccer or other sports where they run a lot, this may be easy. Those miles count! Just remember to not overdo it.
- Early completion of the program is not recommended. The schedule leaves Saturdays and Sundays available for make-up days or to give you a rest day during the week.
- It is important to keep track of your child’s progress toward their goal. As they complete each mile, let them color or mark off each mile on the Training Log.
Fact Sheet (click here)
Parent FAQs (click here)
RACE WEEKEND INFORMATION/LINKS
Final Race Instructions (emailed to parents race week)
Parking & Area Map (link)
Road Closure Map (pdf)