Here’s a chance for your child to participate in a marathon – one mile at a time!
It’s the Little Rockers Kids Marathon.
DATE & TIME
Saturday, March 5, 2016
WHAT IS THE LITTLE ROCKERS KIDS MARATHON
The goal is simple – Get Children Moving!
The mission of the Little Rockers Kids Marathon is to give children in 1st thru 7th grades the opportunity to enhance their physical activity (by following a fun, simple running and/or walking program) while focusing on reaching a goal. The hope is to motivate children to commit to a physical routine, which will allow them to experience the overall benefits of achieving their goals, not only when they cross the finish line, but in life as well.
Participants run or walk 25.2 miles over a period of time, logging their progress. Then on race day, children will complete their last mile on the official Little Rock Marathon course. As each child crosses the finish line, they receive their official finisher’s medal.
There are two ways for children to participate in the Little Rockers Kids Marathon:
- At home with an adult’s supervision
- As part of an Official Program – participate through an official Little Rockers group at a participating school, church or civic organization
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
- Register: CLICK HERE to register your child online or CLICK HERE to use a mail-in form.
- Find a Program: CLICK HERE to see if your school has a program or to start a program (see information below).
- Start Moving: Kids track their mileage at their own pace. Use any of the training resources below to help guide your child’s training.
- Track Their Miles: If your child is NOT participating in an official program, keep up with their miles on the Mileage Tracker. You will bring their completed tracker to the Health & Fitness Expo. If your child is participating with an official program, then your child’s leader will give us their mileage.
- Packet Pick-Up: If your child is NOT participating in an official program, you will must pick up their race packet at the Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, March 4, 2016. Please see the Expo page for details. If your child is participating with an official program, then your child’s leader will have your child’s packet and will distribute it race week.
- Race Day: Get to the starting line and get ready to be inspired!
WHAT’S NEW FOR 2016
- Parents will be allowed to participate with their child if they register in advance. There is no charge for a parent. 1 adult per 3 children please. Deadline is February 1, 2016.
- New start time – 11 am
- New course
- New start line and finish line
|1/1/2016 thru 2/26/16||$25||$30|
- Limited to the first 2,000 children.
- Fees are not refundable.
- A parent can participate at no charge, but must register the same time their child participant registers. Deadline is FEBRUARY 1, 2016.
- Price changes occur online at 11:59 PM CST.
- A transaction and credit card processing fee is charged by RacesOnline.com when you register online. The fee is charged on the total amount not just the registration fee.
- Online registration will close at 11:59 PM CST February 26, 2016.
- On-line registrants will receive an auto-generated email confirmation stating their registration was received. Keep this email confirmation as it has vital information needed to obtain the registrant’s race packet on race weekend.
- There is NO EXPO REGISTRATION.
- There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
- There is NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK UP.
- Mail-in entries MUST be postmarked by February 26, 2016.
PARTICIPANT & FINISHER AMENITIES
The Little Rock Marathon is a project of and benefits Little Rock Parks & Recreation. We are incredibly grateful to all of you who participate the following amenities are included in your registration fee:
Little Rockers participants receive:
- Official Little Rock Marathon Participant Shirt
- Official Race number
- Race Packet
Parents participating with their child receive:
- Official Race Number that matches their Little Rocker
All Little Rocker finishers receive:
- Official finisher’s medal (sorry adults the medals are for the kids). To view CLICK HERE
- Post-race refreshments
FREE ONLINE TRAINING TOOLS
The Little Rockers Training Program offers a fun and practical way for parents to get their children involved by providing free online training tools. The tools below will help get your child started in a way that works best for you. All training programs offer a gradual build up in distance to get kids ready to run the final mile on race day.
- 2016 Little Rockers Fact Sheet(pdf)
- 2016 Little Rockers Parent FAQs(pdf)
- Training Schedule (pdf)
- Training Log (pdf)
- Fun Mileage Tracker (pdf)
FORM AN OFFICIAL LITTLE ROCKERS PROGRAM TODAY
The Little Rockers Kids Marathon is a great way to get children excited about physical fitness and reward them for their accomplishments. Little Rockers programs are led by adult volunteers from schools, churches, athletic teams, civic, and community organization.
Not all children are alike, so not all Little Rocker programs are alike. The Little Rockers Kids Marathon Training Program is designed to allow each leader to be as creative as their time, talent and budget will allow.
A free “how to” kit will be sent to prospective leaders that will explains the program and how to start one. Requesting an informational kit does not obligate you or your organization to form a group.
An official program is 10 or more children.
COURSE & LOGISTICS – NEW COURSE
- A parent may participate with his/her child. One adult may participate with no more than 3 children and must be with the child(ren) at all times.
- The parent will be issued the same race number as his/her child. That race number MUST be on the front, outer-most layer of the torso.
- As much as possible, please try to run/walk at an even pace the entire event instead of starting and stopping, sprinting and walking, etc.
- Should you need to walk, please move to the far right of the road and try to ease your pace into a walk instead of abruptly stopping.
- Stay to the right and allow others to pass on the left.
- Please pass slower runners/walkers on the left.
- If you see a participant who needs medical attention, please alert a course marshal or EMT.
- At the finish line please be aware that other participants coming up behind you and do not stop abruptly. Once you receive your medal please proceed through finishers’ chute and then celebrate with your family and friends outside of the chute.
- No dogs on the course.
- No bicycles are allowed on the course.
- No strollers on the course.
- Encourage other participants and thank our volunteers!
RACE WEEKEND INFORMATION/LINKS
- 2016 Final Race Instructions (coming soon)
- 2016 Course Map (pdf)
- 2016 Start Corrals Map (pdf)
- 2016 Start/Finish Area Map (pdf)
- Parking & Area Map (coming soon)
- 2016 Finisher’s Certificate (coming soon)
Jennifer Pomerleau, Chair E-Mail