The Little Rockers Kids Marathon is a great way to get children excited about physical fitness and reward them for their accomplishments.
Little Rockers programs are led by adult volunteers from schools, before- and after-school programs, community centers, homeless shelters, civic, religious organization, nonprofits and other civic groups.
Not all children are alike, so not all Little Rocker Programs are alike. The training program is designed to allow each leader to be as creative as their time, talent and budget will allow.
BEGINNING A PROGRAM
- Review the information on our website.
- A program is 10 or more children.
- Become an Official Program Leader by registering your program.
WHAT IS A MARATHON?
A marathon is 26.2 miles. The idea of the modern marathon was inspired by the legend of an ancient Greek messenger named Pheidippideswho ran from the plains of Marathon to Athens with the news of an important Greek victory over the invading Persian army in 490 BC. He ran was about 26 miles (or, around 40 kilometers). The marathon got its name from Pheidippides dramatic run.
Today, thousands of people run marathons for fun every year! People who run marathons train a lot and have to be in good shape to run or walk such a long distance.
TRAINING FOR THE MARATHON
- Kids run or walk the first 25.2 miles of their marathon one mile at a time on a safe, secure route designated by parents, coaches or teachers. The program should take 6-8 weeks to complete depending on the fitness level of the child. A less-active child may need to start earlier to complete the program.
- Wear running shoes or sneakers and socks. Proper footwear helps prevent foot problems.
- Run/walk with a parent or friend. You can encourage each other that way. Talk while you run/walk, you can maintain the perfect pace that way.
- Stretch your legs before you train. Stretching helps prevent injuries. Hold each stretch for 20 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE.
- Drink lots of water after you train and throughout the day. Water helps muscles do their work.
- Get plenty of sleep. Your muscles need lots of rest so you can keep running/walking every day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet including lots of protein (meat or dairy) and carbohydrates (pasta, rice, potatoes). Your body needs fuel to do its work!
- Below are training schedules with suggested distances or you may set up your own schedule with a parent or teacher’s help.
- If you can only run or walk a little, keep trying.
- If you run or walk more than a mile per day, great!
- If you play a lot of soccer or other sports where you run a lot, this may be easy. Just remember to space your workouts so you are prepared to run or walk the final distance on race weekend!
- Early completion of the program is not recommended. The schedule leaves Saturdays and Sundays available for make-up days or to give you a rest day during the week.
- It is important to keep track of your progress toward your goal. As you complete each mile, color or mark off each mile on the Training Log.
FINAL MILE REGISTRATION FEES
|12/29/2017 – 2/16/2018||$25|
- Limited to the first 2,100 children and their parent/guardian
- One parent/guardian per child.
- Fees are not refundable.
- Price changes occur online at 11:59 PM CST.
- A transaction and credit card processing fee is charged by RacesOnline.com when you register online. The fee is charged on the total amount not just the registration fee.
- Online registration for Little Rockers closed February 16th.
- On-line registrants will receive an auto-generated email confirmation stating their registration was received. Keep this email confirmation as it has vital information needed to obtain the registrant’s race packet on race weekend.
- There is NO EXPO REGISTRATION.
- There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
- There is NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK UP.
- Mail-in entries MUST be postmarked by February 16, 2018.
Leah Pearce, Chair | Email
RACE WEEKEND INFORMATION/LINKS
Final Race Instructions (coming soon)
2018 Course Map (pdf)
Start Corrals Map (pdf)
Start/Finish Area Map (pdf)
Parking & Area Map (pdf)
2018 Finisher’s Certificate (coming soon)
Training Schedules (pdf)